What's in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
About the role
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted "Gympass" membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- LifeAssurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes - Join our 'Buy As You Earn' & 'Save As You Earn' share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
- 10% off One Stop
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
- 20% off all F&F purchases
- 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C's apply
- 25% off Tesco Cafe
- 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shuttle Bus Service to/from Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life's challenges
- Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
The payment services team is at the heart of Tesco Technology, serving 28 million+ shoppers in the UK and abroad. We deliver HTTP services that reliably manage payments at global scale, 24 hours a day every day. We also provide capabilities that detect and prevent fraud and build upon innovative technologies to reduce loss. 100M+ transactions and billions of events per day, a billion pounds every week.
At the core of our operation are the APIs that handle a variety of payment methods including cash, card and gift card across stores, at our fuel stations and online. We also support wallet behaviours, repeat payments, refunds and identity checks. They are built around an event sourcing architecture using various of Java, .NET, Akka, Cassandra, Postgres and Kafka. We embrace DevSecOps wherever possible. Automation is a key area of focus for us. Our scale and workloads demand that we continuously improve our approaches to testing and deployment. Kanban is the way we manage our work. We support what we code. You will be responsible for
As a Software Development Manager withinPaymentsyour primary responsibility is to build and maintainapassionate, engaged and effective development teamof engineers. You achieve this through taking a deep interest in the people that report to you,making sure they are happy, motivated and challenged in what they are doing. You devolve decision-making and provide the team with the psychological safety to move fast. You guide them to reach pragmatic technical solutions and keep yourself close to the code without becoming a blocker. You take ownership when things go wrong but celebrate success collectively. In short, you act as a multiplier of your team's effectiveness.
Specifically, you will:
- Fosterthe careers of the engineers reporting into you by finding opportunity for growth, coaching, addressing concerns and if necessary, implementing performance management.
- Grow the capability of Tesco Technology as a whole by becoming involved in our engineering hiring and being passionate about building high performinganddiverse teams.
- Work closely with Product Managementtoidentify and minimise risk within an outcome and help prioritise and evolve a sustainable technical solution ready for delivery.
- RepresentPaymentswithin wider technical discussions across different stakeholder groups, constantly broadening your understanding ofourtechnology landscapeso as to increase the effectiveness of your contribution.
- Take ownership for the delivery of specific outcomes, or work across wider groups in conjunction with programme management to deliver more significant outcomes. Drive us to constantly improve quality.
- Take ownership of non-functional outcomes withinPaymentsincluding performance, availability, reliability and security.
- Continually look formeans toevolve and improve our technology, processes and practices.
The role will includeownership of theon-call rota to support ourapplicationsin production.You will need
- Previous experience with management of software engineering teams of 5-15people in size.
- Hands-on experience of building reliable and operationally robust transactional systems.
- Hands-on experience in development of Restful API services and distributed systems that work at scale.
- A high degree of emotional intelligence. You are aware of your own emotions, how you appear and can self-reflect on your actions. You can empathise with others and modify your behaviour and style accordingly.
- Problem solving, analysis and computational skills. You are comfortable designing systems and reasoning about them. When tacklingproblems,you take a thorough and logical approach to solving themand retainingownership through to resolution.
- Customer focus. You can find the right balance between outcome delivery and technical excellence. You place the needs of our customers above the needs of you and the team.
- Written and verbal communication skills. You can communicate effectively and efficiently taking into account the nature of your audience.
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is 'Serving Britain's shoppers a little better every day'. Our business was built with a simple mission - to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn't changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it's our job to deliver this in the right way for them. In the UK, we serve some 66 shoppers every second, so it's our goal to ensure every one of those customers experiences just a little better service on each visit.
At Tesco, inclusion means that Everyone's Welcome. Everyone is treated fairly and with respect; by valuing individuality and uniqueness we create a sense of belonging.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the heart of Tesco. It is embedded in our values: we treat people how they want to be treated. We always want our colleagues to feel they can be themselves at work and we are committed to helping them be at their best.
Across the Tesco group we are building an inclusive workplace, a place to actively celebrate the cultures, personalities and preferences of our colleagues - who in turn help to build the success of our business and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.