What's in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
About the role
- Annual bonus scheme - 10%-20% bonus
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted "Gympass" membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a household member) and Colleague Discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life's challenges
- Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
Within the Data Science Engineering team we help Tesco, our customers and the communities where we operate to get the most value from data. We build and run Tesco's data platforms, we architect and engineer data onto these platforms, provide capabilities and tools to the analytics community across Tesco, and develop data products at scale.
As a Lead Software Engineer within Data Science Engineering, you'll be a significant contributor to the delivery of data scienceproducts in one of Tesco's most strategic technology areas. You'll work with other engineers, data scientists, product managers, systems engineers, and analytics professionals to help deliver valuable and innovative outcomes for our customers. You'll work within and across our Engineering and Data Science teams, delivering scalable products that improve how we serve our customers and run our operations. You will be responsible for
You will need Experience relevant for this job:
- Leading group discussions on system design and architecture.
- Working with product teams to communicate and translate needs into technical requirements.
- Delivering high quality code and solutions.
- Supporting production systems, resolving incidents, and performing root cause analysis.
- Continually look for how we can evolve and improve our technology, processes and practices.
- Sharing knowledge with the wider engineering community.
- Mentoring and developing others around you.
- Applying SDLC practices to create and release robust software.
Key Skills and Technologies:
- Building scalable and resilient systems.
- Leading technical teams and influencing stakeholders.
- Designing solutions that integrate Data Science products into client applications.
- Building solutions that run in the cloud, on-prem or at-edge.
- Involvement in the full development life cycle; design, coding, test, build, QA, deployment and maintenance.
- Participating in incident, problem and service improvement process and has ability to assess incidents prioritising resolutions or escalations within SLAs.
- Working in agile environments. You must be a team player with the ability to influence and lead stakeholders.
The following would also be desirable (but are not required):
- Enterprise integration patterns, microservice architectures and event sourcing.
- Working with multiple software development methodologies including Scrum & Kanban.
- Customer focus with the right balance between outcome delivery and technical excellence.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with other teams for any dependencies or integrations.
- Experience with Linux, building solutions that run on-prem, at-edge or in-the-cloud.
- Containerisation technologies e.g. Docker and related technologies.
- Tooling for monitoring, logging and alerting e.g. Splunk or Grafana.
- CI/CD pipelines: can create a CI/CD pipeline to deploy Infrastructure changes.
- Working knowledge of Git, Jenkins and other related technologies.
- Fluency in Python.
- Awareness of emerging MLOps practices.
- Experience building solutions that run at edge.
- Experience with video technology or computer vision.
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is 'Serving Britain's shoppers a little better every day'. Our business was built with a simple mission - to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn't changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it's our job to deliver this in the right way for them. In the UK, we serve some 66 shoppers every second, so it's our goal to ensure every one of those customers experiences just a little better service on each visit.
At Tesco, inclusion means that Everyone's Welcome. Everyone is treated fairly and with respect; by valuing individuality and uniqueness we create a sense of belonging. Diversity and inclusion have always been at the heart of Tesco. It is embedded in our values: we treat people how they want to be treated. We always want our colleagues to feel they can be themselves at work and we are committed to helping them be at their best. Across the Tesco group we are building an inclusive workplace, a place to actively celebrate the cultures, personalities and preferences of our colleagues - who in turn help to build the success of our business and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.